Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Meiji Shrine (may-jee)





I finally got a good taste of the Japanese culture. To commemorate Veteran's Day I decided to head to a Shinto Shrine to give thanks for those in my family who fought/ are fighting for the freedom to be in Japan as an American. The Meiji Shrine was established by Emperor Meiji and Empress Shoken during their reign from 1852-1914. The Shinto religion values harmony with nature and other virtues. This particular shrine pays respect to "Magokoro" or sincere heart. As I walked through the gardens and under the Torii (gates) I focused on the sentiment, 'thy will be done'. Although I've got many goals and aspirations (not to mention business ideas and ways to make money) I always ask the Lord to use me as he sees fit. When things are not going my way, I have faith that life is progressing as it is because, "thy will be done". There is a purpose for the experiences we have, the struggles we face, the losses we overcome. Free will is alive and flourishing for all individuals, but the things we cannot control is because 'thy will be done'. So with a sincere heart I payed my respect to this beautiful place.

Before entering the Shrine it is appropriate to cleanse your person and to put your mind at ease. This is done by using the dipper to first rinse your left hand, then rinse your right hand, then rinse your mouth from water in your hand. Then raise the dipper so the rest of the water drizzles down the handle, ready it for the next person.

The other ritual that was very specific was how to pray inside the main shrine. When you approach the fence it is customary to throw coins into the offering tray. I saw one very distraught, grieving girl pour in what looked like her entire piggy bank while wiping back tears. I hope that her heart feels better after lifting up her prayers to the Shinto divinity. After tossing in coins you are to then stand facing the alter area (don't know the real name of it) and bow twice while saying your prayer. Clap twice to show your prayer is finished and bow once more. It was very moving to watch men and women, young and old carry out this ritual. Every individual in this life has struggles, needs strength in tough times and has things for which to be thankful. Seeing how another culture shows their respect reminds me that there is more than one way to do this. There is no one right way, one right religion. We all ask for courage and strength throughout our lives despite the corner of earth we inhabit.

I hope your Veterans day was as peaceful as mine. Love to all.

4 comments:

goooooood girl said...

i like your blog......

Denise Paykos said...

my sentiments exactly. love you MOM

Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures. Keep up the great reporting. :)

aunt donna said...

My sweet alisa, I love your big heart and spirit. I am glad you are onto the navigation and sightseeing trips for when Uncle Don and I visit. Miss you and Mark lots, AD