Saturday, November 8, 2008

In the minority

I think I can imagine how a Tampa Bay Ray's fan might have felt in Citizen's Bank during the World Series. A quick and subtle YES whenever their team scored a run or the Phillies made an error. That's how election day was for me on base. With every blue state added to the board I could feel the tension rise for those McCain fans out there. Well, I heard it too. There is a court yard with a playground outside the entrance of the Lodge. I'll go out there once and a while to check out who's who and see if any connections can be made. Wednesday mornings conversations were full of frustrations, intolerance, and contradictions. One lady can't stand elitism and doesn't understand how people don't see through Obama. I didn't get into it that McCain was born into a family of Admirals and Naval Academy grads with money and power galore. Nor did I correct her when she stated that Al-Qaeda and Saddam were in cahoots long before 9/11. Again, I didn't have the patience to explain that Saddam was a secular ruler who gased the Shiite population (the more fundamentalist crowd that Osama was sympathetic toward). Needless to say, I'm looking forward to living off base so I can explore another way of life, another way of thinking, another way of looking at America. Talking with the Japanese real estate agent the other day made me realize how much ordinary citizens in other countries look to the United States to lead. He said, hopefully Japan can accept change and move forward like the Americans. We needed the victory of Obama to reestablish ourselves as a strong, resilient, and rational people. We needed to show the world that we are not stuck in ways of the past and we can be the change for the future when the world needs it.

3 comments:

Denise Paykos said...

Tell us how you really feel, my love!

Unknown said...

Being literally and figuratively a world away, my election night experience was definitely different from yours. One of my old college roomies came into town about a week before, to work in Philly for the Obama campaign. She ended up spending the evening with her fellow volunteers celebrating at N x NW. She said that the room erupted when Obama was announced as President-Elect. I cheered too and was very proud of his speech. I think that he's a believer in the statement, "Be the change you wish to see in the world." And I hope that he will put us back on the path to being the great country we can be.

SonUHvahZeke said...

yowzah!...like yer mamma said, don't sugar coat nuffin. I was feelin the "in the minority" vibe BIG time last wk. We just spent 7 days driving in/thru/around NJ & PA ... with Sippi tags, a shooting range decal & a borrowed NRA cap just for some added fun!..keeps the whackos on their toes....aint it great to have american values & freedoms. We can disagree with friends about many issues & still respect their right to have a different perspective. You & Mark are in my heart & prayers. Later Tater.