Monday, September 21, 2009
Miyajima- "An Island Where People and God Live Together"
Once our three days were done in Kyoto we were on to our next stop. No time to rest, we only had a few days to see some tops sights. We all boarded the bullet train, being especially careful to keep the pod together this time, and sat back for our 1.5 hour ride to Hiroshima. We arrived sometime in the late morning, dropped our bags at the hotel and headed to Miyajima, an island located in the Sea of Japan, and about another 20 minute train ride from Hiroshima City. This small, quiet island is considered one of the top sights in Japan and a sacred place to the Japanese. It is only accessible by ferry- it's establishment as a holy place dates back to 593 AD. The Japanese are a very superstitious people, always being mindful not to offend any Gods. For many centuries people did not build on this island, harvest the earth, or even give birth or die (although i'm not sure how well people could control this one) on the grounds. To this day there is not a clinic or cemetary on the island. In Shinto, the color red is believed to ward off evil which explains why the shrines, pagodas, tori gates, and even the bibs on animal statues are all doned in red. While walking around I was able to feel the peacefulness and tranquility. A massive torii gate stands tall over the water; although i'm not sure for what, I know it stands for something- it caused me to think just how insignificant I/we are in the world. That thing has been around longer than the USA has been organized, longer than I can trace back my geneology, longer than a million other things I can't think of at this moment. When I am gone years from now, what will I leave behind- what would I have stood for?? Will it even matter? Then again, who cares? The memories created with my family is what's most important. Carpe Diem cause tomorrow's not promised.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment