Monday, July 13, 2009

Embracing the Art of the Onsen

















A start to a July 4th weekend that was like none other. Last year I was basking in the sun on Hilton Head Island with the family, content in my denial that forces greater than thou had hold on my life. This year I was looking forward to something different- I needed something different. And sure enough this time, when I asked, I recieved. A friend and I jumped in the car and decided to stop talking about seeing this and doing that and to actually go and do it. It's easy to complain about the Navy when you're on the base and so many things you can't control are in your face (so getting off base is muy importante-a huge reason why I wouldn't be caught dead living on base). We were on our way to Hakone. To get to the town, one would just hug the coast and drive about an hour west of Yokosuka. Athough it was a Friday there were tons of people enjoying what the surf has to offer- the towns we passed through reminded me of Ocean City without the bars, boardwalk, or neon lights or as many people- come to think of it, it wasn't like ocean city at all- i guess the beach houses were a little similiar. Let me start again, just like the Jersey Shore, the waves weren't great but people were out there trying to carve it up nonetheless. We made our way up the winding hills and lush forests to one of the most famous spots in Hakone. At this time the name of the Onsen (hot spring) escapes me but I'll be going back there again, so it will be in my next report. First thing one must do when headed to an Onsen (Hot Spring) is to leave your pride and modesty at the door. No swim suits allowed! You will be the odd person out. Fret less, men and women are separate. When you first enter the building you take your shoes off. You do not walk around inside with shoes on, ever. You can see from the picture, thatify ou wish to go out to the deck they provide you slippers. Once we headed down the halls and stairs we arrived at the women's locker room area and there is such a sense of serenity. It's not like a gym locker room, but more like a spa locker room with wicker furniture, soft soothing colors, and carpeted floors. After you drop your drawers you get your towel and head to the shower. But these are not showers like we know showers. I turned the corner to find a row of shower heads, about shoulder length, lining the wall. Each stall, although there are no doors, has a wooden stool so you can sit and rinse off your body. Then the fun part. I walked outside to the fenced in springs. There were 5 different ones to choose from. You can't really tell in the picture (i snuck it) but vaguely you can see one to the left, two to right and one towards the back of the photo. They are all piping hot and so relaxing. Chill music is playing and everyone is calm and content. At first my friend and I had to giggle our nervousness away, but after realizing we were the only ones feeling embarrased we said, enough is enough and just let the ambiance take over. If your hot spring moment made you sleepy the place also had a room where you can lay down on the floor and continue to meditate or fall asleep before checking back in to reality. Anyone who is coming out to visit, get your mind and body ready, cause you can't leave Japan without experiencing the art of the onsen.



1 comment:

Dana Paykos said...

sign me up!!!

Mom XXXX