Saturday, February 7, 2009

Our 12 Mile Hike

Now that we've gotten Marissa's paperwork squared away on base and I've taken my drivers test this past Thursday, we are now free to explore without anything tying us down. The store sign sums it up. So, Maris, what would you like to do today? Get away from base was pretty much her answer. I agreed. Yesterday we hit up Kamakura, that crazy little town 20 minutes away with the big Buddha. I just love that place. It's a quaint city, smaller than Yokosuka, with tons of things to see and do. Last time I visited Kamakura it was during my orientation class with a few other Navy guys and an agenda to see a few specific things. This time Marissa and I were happy to wander around and just get lost in the side streets, back alleys, and winding paths. At one point I kept telling her we were headed for a dead end and she kept saying, just keep going- you always find the best spots when you don't know where you're headed. She was right. Although we did hit the dead end of the road it turned into a hiking path up through the hilly forest to the other side of the city. This path was no joke! I was feeling the burn as we climbed up trees' root systems and down steep rocky paths winding our way for about a mile. The path spit us out literally in a temple's backyard. The view at the top of the hill gave you a panoramic view of Kamakura with the Pacific Ocean in he distance. We couldn't get this close to the Pacific without going to the beach and getting ourselves some shells and rocks to add to our 'where in the world did this come from?' collection. As you can see in the bottom picture there are what we think is seaweed hanging out to dry. Along the beach are fishermen's boats and provincial little huts for conducting their business. All and all we clocked 12 miles on the sightseeing pedometer and enjoyed every second of it. I love I had two totally different experiences in the same town. I look forward to taking more visitors here and sharing in Kamakura's beauty and mystique.

No comments: