There is nothing like being woken in the middle of the night by a feeling that something is crawling in your bed. Whoever came up with alarm clocks had it all wrong by thinking some incessant beeping or buzzing coming from the nightstand couldn't be ignored. However, if a system was devised to unleash little ants or creepy crawlers onto your bed at the stroke of a hand, there wouldn't even be a need for a snooze button. I thought of this the other night around 3am after finding myself standing in the middle of my bed, covers on the floor, my right arm wet, and my heart beating like I had just ran to the top of Mt. Fuji. Confused and a now itchy, I hit on the light and smiled at the absurdity of
Back home in NJ, it rained during all the seasons- we don't have any particular months dedicated to rain- I guess April showers brought May flowers but that was it. And during the rain we would just get in our cars and put on our lights and wipers and go about our business. Rarely did I carry an umbrella with me, I would rather run from the car to the store or put up my hood on my sweatshirt or coat. In Japan, you will see matching rain coats and pants on all of the scooter riders or bikers-- purple, red, orange, green, blue- if you catch a bunch together at a stop light they can look like a handful of skittles. The walkers always have their umbrellas in tow. Most department and grocery stores have a place to stow your umbrella while you shop. Even little stores like 7 & Holdings (7-11) or McDonalds provide plastic umbrella bags so you or the person next to you won't be inconvieneced by your dripping accessory. The daily routine doesn't change much, just the outfits that the people wear. Then I thought of the Caribbean. Ah, yes the rainy season is such a big part of the year down in St. Lucia and St. Kitts. Wow, I've been in two different parts of the world for 'rainy season'- and the people behave just as differently during these times. Unlike Japan where the people go, go, go, and work, work, work, the rainy season in the islands provides for more vacation days and less time worrying about what isn't getting done. Indicative of their attitude, when the rain is falling, they just chill in the house and enjoy the beauty and company of those around them and thank the Lord for providing nutrients for their crops and land. Naturally, at first I was amazed by this [backward] thinking that you wouldn't go to work or school cause the 'rain was falling'- what do you mean, no one else will be there either?? But that's the beauty in different cultures and different parts of the world. I feel so blessed to not only experience rainy seasons in these places but to observe and learn to understand the people who live in them. Here are some pictures from around the town and the house during our rainy season. The bike parking lot for McDonalds is just as big as the parking lot for the cars.

1 comment:
Is that seriously a motor biker with a sword? Good blog sissy love you. Miss japan everyday!! xoxoxox
Post a Comment