Monday, May 25, 2009

Branching Out



Happy Memorial Day, all! I hope this weekend is full of great weather, good company, and lots of laughs. For me Memorial Day weekend was a time to be thankful for those who serve and have served our country, a time to reflect on where I've been during Memorial Days of yesteryear, and a time to focus on where I do not want to be this Memorial Day. This weekend would mark 30 days of consecutive sobriety in my journey for a life without mind altering substances. I knew the long weekend could be potentially dangerous with barbeques and picnics all over. Last year it would have been easy to find something to do- grab a cold one and join in with the one of the many celebrations going on, but this year could have been a little more challenging. Luckily and coincidentally, I heard of an off base church through a friend I met during treatment. The ministry caters specifically toward military members and their families. Since I've wanted to connect with a church anyhow, I thought, well, now is as good as time as ever. I went on their website last week and it showed that they were going camping for Memorial Day weekend- bingo! Without hesitating I emailed the person in charge and asked them if I could join in their party. Whew, disaster averted. All I had to do was show up, take in the sights and sounds, and enjoy meeting some new people. Come Saturday morning, I did just that. There were 13 other people, mostly in their twenties who were headed to the campground. Everyone knew each other, except for the newbie here, but that didn't bother me. I was looking to get away from Yokosuka just as much as I was looking forward to meeting new people, so I saw it as a win win situation.

1 comment:

Moving On said...

Alisa, I am so proud of you! I can't wait to see what more months of focusing on you will bring and the happiness that you will start to feel with yourself and your life with mark! I am very happy for you and so very proud! Stay strong, I'm always thinking of you!